Described as the gateway to the west and the metropolis of North Dakota, it was not until 1943 that a Moravian church was started in the city of Fargo. Until the fall of 1948, the parsonage, located at 1429 - 7th Ave S, served the dual purpose of the church and pastor's residence. In 1951, a church building was established at 11th St. and 12th Avenue S. After years of loyal service, the congregation acknowledged it was landlocked in an aging community and surrounded by numerous other Protestant churches. The congregation felt that these factors were contributing to a stunting of growth and slow reduction of membership; therefore, the decision was made to sell the building and rededicate their service for Christ in a developing area of South Fargo.
In 2001, taking a bold step of faith in the progress of their new neighborhood and the future of their ministry in Christ, construction on the new facility was completed and the congregation re-emerged as Shepherd of the Prairie. Due to location and need for a Christian preschool in South Fargo, the church organized Shepherd's Christian Preschool in the fall of 2003.